The Rise Program is currently full for the 2019-2020 academic year.
Please apply below to be added to the waitlist.
Para ver esta pagina en Español.
Pasadena Unified School District (PUSD) students will be admitted first. PUSD students have until December 1st to apply for the program. After December 1st, if space allows, students outside of PUSD will be enrolled in the program. In addition to filling out the online application new students need to submit the following:
After collecting these documents please contact the Caltech Y office at 626-395-6163 to schedule an orientation meeting.
Tutoring is offered 4 days a week Mondays through Thursdays from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. Students must attend 2 days a week. The staff will work with students and families to try to accommodate different schedules.
Tutoring takes place in the Hameetman Student Center on Caltech's Campus.
Student Pick-up and Drop-off:
Students should be dropped off and picked up at the corner of Holliston Ave. and San Pasqual St.
The Rise Program is $215 for the year. Below is the fee structure. We accept cash, credit cards or check
(payable to the Caltech Y):
1. Application Fee: $15
2. Annual Participation Fee: $200
3. Payments: Payments can be made in 1 or 2 installments within 30 days of start date.
(If you require installments over a longer period of time due to financial difficulty, please speak to a staff member during enrollment.)
Scholarships are available to students receiving free or reduced lunch. To apply for a scholarship please
submit the following:
The student participation fees are for administrative costs (program staff, materials, room set-up and custodial) and are not reflective of the tutoring service. The tutoring service is free of charge and will continue to be provided by Caltech students.
To apply for the Rise Program, each student must meet the following criteria:
Be a student between the 8th grade and 12th grade
Be enrolled in a public school (including charter schools) within a 10-mile radius of the California Institute of Technology (or a reasonable driving distance to be on time). Priority is given to PUSD Students.
Be receiving a C+ or lower in math and/or science or experiencing steadily declining grades in math and/or science.
Have an overall GPA of 2.0 or above.
Be a student with a commitment to working hard, completing homework and “doing whatever it takes” to be a better student in math and science and a successful college student.
1. Complete the online application. All new and returning students are required to fill out the online application.
2. New students and at least one parent/guardian must come to an orientation meeting prior to the first day of tutoring. Appointments can be made Mon - Fri at
4:30 p.m. or 5:30 p.m. At the orientation meeting, there will be a discussion of the student’s needs and parents are asked to sign a Waiver of Release and Liability to complete enrollment.
3. Students and parents will be notified by email or phone of the tutor match and start date. Students should arrive to the first session with all materials (books, notes, assignments, etc.) and ready to discuss their academic and classroom situation so that tutors can more efficiently work with them.