The Rise Program is an on-campus afterschool math and science-focused tutoring program serving public schools students. The Caltech Y has been administering the program since 2006 and the program has been successful at helping students who struggle with math and science. The tutoring is provided by Caltech undergraduate and graduate students. Undergraduate students can use their Federal and Caltech Work-Study allotment to get paid for the tutoring.
Tutoring is offered 4 days a week, Mondays through Thursdays from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. Tutors select their preferred day. Schedule changes can be accommodated.
Tutoring takes place in the Hameetman Student Center on Caltech's Campus and John Muir High School.
1. Tutors are asked to commit to a minimum of 2 quarters per year and to 1 or 2 days per week of tutoring.
2. Tutors are expected to show up on time and to contact the Caltech Y if unable to attend a tutoring session.
3. Each session is 2 hours and tutors generally work with the same students. Some students may be temporarily assigned to different tutors due to scheduling or tutors who are unavailable on a particular day.
4. Each tutor’s schedule is set per quarter. (Schedule changes can be accommodated)
5. Tutors are assigned to students according to scheduling and subjects of interest. Make sure that you will fill out the Tutor Application Form so that you can be properly matched with students.
The Rise Program provides materials for tutors and tutees to utilize during the tutoring sessions. These include: white boards, markers, calculators, rulers, SAT, ACT and other workbooks, and basic school supplies.
If you would like additional materials provided to assist in tutoring please contact the Rise Program Coordinator.